The Fever Hospital was built in 1819. The building was situated on a piece of land which projected into the Colligan river and was almost surrounded by water at high tide. The hospital accommodated 42 patients. The building remained in the hands of the board of guardians throughout the rest of the last century and was always kept in readiness in case of outbreaks of disease. The guardians sold it in 1914 when it was purchased by Mrs Margaret Norris who converted it into a private residence.
Author : Willie Fraher Published Online : 26 July 2001