Jump to Category Listing
Next 8 Articles
1. The Broderick Film Collection
The following pieces of film were taken from original tapes kindly donated to the museum by the Cullinan family of Abbeyside. Covering a number of decades, some of the film clips date from the 1940s. Included in the collection are clips of Home Rule Street in Abbeyside and Grattan Square Dungarvan.
2. No One Can Insult Our Flag - Nov 11th 1920 (Film)
Recently Waterford County Museum discovered the earliest known film footage of Dungarvan, dating from November 11th 1920, in the archive of British Pathe. The events occurred during the period of the Irish War Of Independence from 1919 1921.
3. The Moresby Disaster (Film)
On the 24th of December 1895, the sailing ship Moresby ran aground in Dungarvan Bay with the loss of 20 lives. To mark the centenary of this tragedy Triton Productions created this dramatic reconstruction of the event based on the accounts of Henry Blount, the ships apprentice. This production is no longer available in the shops but is available to download for free from the Waterford County Museum web site.
4. Portlaw Aerial Photographs
Aerial photographs of the Malcolmson house and factory complex at Portlaw, County Waterford.
5. 1777 Road Maps Of West Waterford
1777 road maps of West Waterford from George Taylor and Andrew Skinner's 'Maps of The Roads of Ireland' Surveyed in 1777 and published for the authors on the 14th November 1778 in London.
6. Old Dungarvan Postcards
A small collection of postcards showing Dungarvan scenes from the turn of the century. A number of the postcards were originally sold as part of the Valentine postcard series.
7. Lismore Cathedral Stones
A collection of stones which are located in the West end of the nave of Lismore Cathedral. The Archaelogical Inventory of Co. Waterford notes (P.186) : The graveslabs were found in the early 19th century when the cathedral tower was being built and each inscription is written using the Latin alphabet.
8. The Edmund Keohan Collection
Edmund Keohan is one of the best known of the old Dungarvan photographers. He was from Tramore. The first mention of him in Dungarvan appears in Slater's Directory of 1879 where he is listed as a confectioner of Main Street. He had a great interest in local history and wrote the first history of Dungarvan in 1924: - 'Illustrated History of Dungarvan', Waterford, Waterford News, 1924. An original first edition copy of the book is on display in the museum at present. A biography is also available on this site.
9. Ardmore Round Tower and Cathedral
This early christian settlement was founded by St. Declan in the 5th Century, and may have been in existence prior to the arrival of St. Patrick in Ireland.
10. Knockboy Church, Co. Waterford
Knockboy Church and burial ground is situated between Tooraneena and Kilbrien, Co. Waterford. A number of the lintels within the church have ogham inscriptions. Ogham (pronounced Oam) is an early form of Irish writing and is comprised of a number of notches which are cut into the side of the stone.
Next 8 Articles
Site Version : Graphical | Text Only